| Meet Steve Waite My story with Steve is similar and also starts with a book — actually two books. Back in the mid-1980s, Steve was working as an analyst at Morgan Stanley while I was working on Spirit of Enterprise. Thanks to some excellent advice from my editor Midge Decter, I eventually carved out most of the technology-oriented chapters of that book to form the essence of Microcosm. I wrote about Micron Technology in both books. To tell that and several other stories correctly, I needed some insight into high-yield bonds. Steve was a noted expert on the subject and helped me out. Later Steve was recruited by Michael Milken — whose bonds provided crucial financing for MCI and other critical tech start-ups of the era — to help with Michael’s book titled Portraits of the American Dream, in which Michael insisted on writing about me. That got me hooked up with Steve again and we’ve never lost touch since. Steve even launched a Wall Street investment management firm that used both Microcosm and my later Telecosm as core texts (to great success). Steve’s 2002 book Quantum Investing summarized the methods he employed on Wall Street, frequently citing Microcosm. Microcosm meanwhile is dedicated to Richard. So, I guess I introduced Steve to Richard almost 20 years ago! Another thing Steve and I have long had in common is an intense interest in life after silicon, AKA carbon computing. It was as far back as 2014 that Steve invited me to keynote at the Graphene Stakeholders Association’s annual event. Over the years we kept talking, with Steve frequently making the hour-and-a-half trek up from Shelton, Connecticut to The Red House in Tyringham MA. That’s where Nini and I have lived (and which Nini rearchitected) ever since we were married. One fruit of those visits, at least inspirationally, was Steve’s co-authored 2017 book Venture Investing in Science, which I proclaimed “the economic book of the year.” "Get Ready for a Global 'Reboot'," says George Gilder... Meet John Schroeter As soon as my publisher Doug Hill proposed that I get back into the investment letter business, I knew I needed these three guys on my team: Richard, Steve, and the mighty “Mr. X,” AKA John Schroeter who leads our George Gilder’s Moonshots newsletter. John was introduced to me by my original teacher of technology, Carver Mead of Caltech and some 25 Silicon Valley companies. Speaking of books. John’s irrepressible tendency to write them has been more than incidental to our friendship. His seminal work, The ASIC Experience, influenced my own thinking about Application Specific Integrated Circuits as an explosive source of creativity in the semiconductor world. And it was John’s persistence that roped me in as a contributor to After Shock, his exciting and idea-packed celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Alvin Toffler’s Future Shock. I proved a difficult calve to rope, but seeing the result I am very glad John persisted. All three men are crucial to my brain trust and technology thrust as developed with Carver Mead. Today’s Prophecy Now, I am excited that all three are coming a bit more out in the open, coauthoring our investment letters and now also occasionally contributing to these daily prophecies. All three are Christian gentlemen and fearsome scourges of the Materialist Superstition. I urge you to follow their work closely. You will see many superstitions demolished. Stay tuned tomorrow for an exciting Prophecy — authored by Richard and Steve themselves! Regards,  George Gilder Editor, Gilder's Daily Prophecy |
No comments:
Post a Comment