My Top Infrastructure Trade - For Free

Garrett Baldwin went to Germany last week for the first time in eight years. Let's just say that there are some things we need to discuss about German infrastructure. This week, there will be a lot of chatter about U.S. infrastructure. Investors are banking on new updates about the state of an infrastructure bill within Congress. And while I do have a trade for you coming this week, I want to talk to you about my life and how I think.
 
 
My Top Infrastructure Trade - For Free

Dear Reader,

This week, there will be a lot of chatter about U.S. infrastructure. Investors are banking on new updates about the state of an infrastructure bill within Congress. And while I do have a trade for you coming this week, I want to talk to you about my life and how I think.

I want to discuss the three biggest problems with German infrastructure – all of which took me an hour to discover during my trip this week.

Let's go.

I Arrived

I arrived last Tuesday morning. It was 8 am. I thought it would all be okay. I had woken up at 4 am somewhere over Iceland. And I didn't sleep again. But fate punished me. At 6 am, the man in front of me found out that we were both from Southwest Florida. I asked him where he was from, and his answer – or at least his talking to my face – lasted another 4.5 hours.

I was tired. I was cranky. I was talked to through the deplaning.

I was talked to during customs.

And my new friend, if you want to call him that, had never been handed social cues.

I know more about this man than I do about most of my friends. I could write his biography.

But I couldn't take any more. I saw a bag on the conveyor belt that looked like mine.

I said goodbye. I grabbed it. I wheeled it out. I got on a train. I had a beer. I checked my email.

I never checked the bag to make sure it was mine.

Thirty minutes later I was 15 minutes outside of Bonn. The trains are fast. But I received a phone call that said the obvious. I took the wrong bag. I needed to go back.

I had all my clothes in the other bag. So, I got off at Bonn. I missed the train heading back to the airport by three minutes. And then I waited.

Problem One

In Bonn, I was waiting for the next train back to Frankfurt. It's a 40- to 45-minute ride.

But the train schedule said that the next train was five minutes late.

It wasn't five minutes late. It was much more than this.

You see, in Germany, they never tell you that the train is going to be an hour late.

They tell you the train will be five minutes late…. Twelve times.

Do the math.

I finally boarded an hour after the scheduled ride.

I got back to the train station at Frankfurt after taking two hours to turn around.

Problem Two

When I arrived at the Frankfurt Airport, I had to take a bus back to the terminal.

Now the busses are very wide, but the lanes are thin. And when a car broke down in a lane needed to get back to the terminal, we waited 25 minutes until we all got frustrated and pushed the car up a hill into a series of bushes. The streets are too narrow and the turns too tight.

I thought my day wasn't going to get worse.

It did.

When I did get to the airport, I needed to get back to the baggage claim. It turns out that the baggage claim door had malfunctioned. So, we needed to wait 45 minutes for a maintenance person to arrive.

About 20 maintenance people did pass by, but not the person we needed.

And when we were finally led back to our destination – after a solid 50 minutes of waiting – it turned out that the Delta baggage people had left 15 minutes prior.

I had paid 145 euro to go back and forth from Frankfurt to Bonn to Frankfurt.

What would it matter if I tried to bribe the baggage handler another 50 to go find my bag in the back?

Luckily, the people at American Airlines were nice and helped.

This situation couldn't get more costly, right?

Problem Three

So, now here's the fun. I went back to the train station and waited for my train. I missed the one I had paid for because the baggage problems mounted. But here I was standing next to two people from Bonn who were eager to help me get home.

The train we booked was naturally 25 minutes late (or delayed five times by five minutes – 25 minutes total) We boarded eagerly when we arrived.

And then the news came. Our original train was canceled. And we had boarded the wrong train.

There had been no public warning. The overhead sign still said that we were getting on a Bonn train.

But this one was not heading to Bonn. It was going to Cologne.

That was 35 minutes north of my destination.

I would tell you this is the end of it. But it turns out I ended up on another train that nearly took me to Belgium before I had to turn back…

And the other train that I needed to board from Cologne – upon instruction from a German woman who just decided to stop helping – was canceled.

I landed in Germany at 7:55 am. I finally arrived at my hotel in Bonn at 5:30 pm.

I spent more time getting to my hotel than I did flying across an ocean.

This was a masterclass in inefficiency and calamity.

Why Am I Telling You This?

There are many things I could spin a yarn over these days.

But at the core is that even with a massive amount of investment, infrastructure is terribly inefficient. I always recommend that people invest in the dividends of solid infrastructure companies rather than chasing "upside."

I have a simple recommendation.

Brookfield Infrastructure Partners (BIP) is one of the few investments that you need to own to lock in gains on infrastructure. I don't speculate on nonsense. I focus on companies that have proven leadership, proven assets, and no speculative business units.

Do your research and don't end up in Belgium.

Brookfield trades a little north of $55 per share and offers a 3.68% dividend. Brookfield is a very well-known and respected name in all of its endeavors. In fact, I don't think that I could pick a public name that surpasses its historical levels of success in infrastructure.

Enjoy your day,
Garrett Baldwin
Chief Analyst, American Markets

© 2021 Godesburg Financial Publishing, Inc.

DISCLAIMER:

COMMUNICATIONS FROM GODESBURG FINANCIAL PUBLISHING (GFP) AND EMPLOYEES ARE FOR EDUCATIONAL AND INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY – NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE: GFP and all the services it offers are for educational and informational purposes only and should NOT be understood to be securities-related offers or solicitations. None of GFP's communications should be considered or used as personalized investment advice. GFP recommends that you speak with a licensed professional before making any investment decision.

RESULTS PRESENTED ARE NOT NECCESSARILY TYPICAL OR VERIFIED: GFP communications may include information regarding the historical trading performance of gurus in their services (all verified by a third party), as well as testimonials of non-employees depicting profitable investments and trades that are believed to be true based on the representations of the persons providing the testimonial of their own free will. Please be aware that the claims regarding investing or trading results of non-employees are not tracked by GFP nor can they be verified. As always, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. Therefore, results presented in this email should NOT be considered TYPICAL. Actual results can and will vary based on everything from experience, ability, risk mitigation practices, and market volatility... to the amount of money exposed in the investment or trade. Investing and trading are speculative and carry serious risk. You may lose some, all - or possibly more - than your original investment or trade.

GODESBURG FINANCIAL PUBLISHING IS NOT AN INVESTMENT ADVISOR OR REGISTERED BROKER: GFP, including its owners and employees, are NOT registered as securities broker-dealers, brokers, or any sort of registered investment advisors with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, any state securities regulatory authorities, or any self-regulatory organizations.

GODESBURG FINANCIAL PUBLISHING EMPLOYEES MAY HOLD SECURITIES DISCUSSED: If a writer holds any securities in a communication, it will be disclosed along with the information on the potential investment or trade. GFP, its owners or employees, have not been - or ever will be - paid by the issuer of a security mentioned in our services or communications. GFP, its owners and employees are paid entirely or in part from commissions based on sales of their services to subscribers.

For more information, please visit our disclaimer page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment